Advanced Role-Play Systems 

• Derik's Diary

• Tell your day-to-day stories here
Tell your day-to-day stories here
 #1629  by Sinphaltimus

1/13/98

I can't recall a thing. This place, it looks familiar to me. I'm hungry and where in the hell did I get this flashlight and battery? Haven't seen a sane person for a few days now. Found some supplies and food. And an SKS. Somehow I knew to go west for ammunition. So I did. And old abandoned airfield. I didn't bother there, I went to a bunch of military tents I spotted. Lots of food, better cloths and one damned box of ammo. What now? Where am I? Where am I from? What the hell happened and why can't I recall anything? Drips and drabs of memories long ago haunt my mind but I have no idea when or where. Elektro. Yeah, I think I might know that place for some reason. I think I know where it is too. Sun looks like it's going down. I better make a run for it while I can still see....

Trotted in to Elektro with a gas can. Stopped at a gas station just outside of town. Blown out. Burnt to a crisp. Oh well, maybe next town some other day. found a nice cabin. one door, two windows to watch. All on the same side. I think I can bed here for the night. Sure wish I had a joint. That'd put me right out, right about now. Let's see what daylight brings...

1/14/98
Woke up feeling great if not a bit cold. Sun's was nice and bright today. i didn't leave the cabin. Feeling a bit paranoid. I though I heard a truck outside. Kind of waited it out and went out to check the perimeter of this cabin. Looking around for any signs of life. None besides those sickly looking remnant of civilization that are polluting the landscape. did some looting. Bedding down for the night. Chose a different house this time. Nice two story with a bit of over-watch. one door access to my room. Feeling comfy.

1/15/98
Though I heard a gun shot outside today. I stayed hunkered down with no repeat. Not sure if I'm hearing things, losing my mind or if these things are really taking place. Still no sign of any other people. Getting lonely. Think I'll take my gas can up the road to the next town in search of gas.

1/16/98
Went and filled the gas can up in a town called Solnichny or something like that. Passed through Kamy something or other. It was a nice day to get out. I'm seeing less and less of those sick people. I started killing off every one of them I come across. Gave up on the gas can. I can't seem to find a working vehicle or any other use for gasoline right now. To Solnichny and back again. Going to loot a bit to resupply then find a new spot to linger for a bit tonight.

Well, I had my first confirmed sighting in Elektro. Spying the street from the roof of the Admin building. I could tell if the person was full ghillie or just the head piece. Watched him run passed the police station, in to the hospital, looted a bit of the first floor then came out across the corner from me. I thought for a moment I was spotted. The person looked up at me but never pointed a rifle (in hand) at me and didn't say a word. I can't tell if they ever entered my building. I lost the person as they headed towards the grocery store. Last known confirmation of being in the area was an agitated sickly I soon heard come to a silence. I regret not making contact. But this person seemed fully armed. I don't know what kind of world I have awoken in to but one thing for certain is that I don't want to have to find out.

At least for me, I have an SKS and 20 rounds. Some other supplies and a pick axe. Think I'll split some stone tomorrow.

1/17/98
I must have passed out right there. I woke up on the same roof, warm and hurting from the hard roof. Sun glaring in my face. A quick look around and it seems safe to leave the roof. Running up the road passed the hospital, i see another person! An average looking fellow with a knapsack and an ax. He's fighting off a sickly. We make friendly contact. His name is Orange Pop. He has no interest in teaming up and is soon on his way off someplace. I'm not sure if it's something I ate, I'm still asleep, or if I'm in the twilight zonee or something but suddenly I feel like Alice. In Wonderland. I decide, maybe it's time I went on an adventure. Perhaps tomorrow.

1/18/98
Got up today and decided to leave Elektro for a time. it seems pretty deserted and not very hostile. I may settle in there someday. For now, I want to hit a few building. It's pretty light out so I'll have to sneak around a lot. Found a well, filled up. Plenty of loot here. Filled up on supplies and found a fire ax, and a sharpening stone. I'm good to go. Left a pile of dead sicklies in one of the fire houses. Going to explore west. See if i can't find more ammunition for this rifle.

1/19/98
Made it to some city named Cherno something. More supplies available here than in Elektro. May stay here a bit and pick it dry before moving on. No sin of human life, just those sicklies everywhere, and they are getting stronger it seems.....

Hit some apartments north of Cherno. Found a jail house. Good thing too. there was plenty of food and supplies in there. Even came across some ammo for my SKS. Found a grocery store, administrator building and a hospital up in those parts as well. Not enough room to carry everything. I'll have to come back around here if i decided to return at all.

Continuing west, I found an air strip and a small town. Balota I think. More rounds, better boots, some better cloths too. Found some burlap sacks which reminded me of a technique I just recalled using netting and strips to create a ghillie suit. Guess, i'll run the shore looking for some netting.

No netting yet but another sack. Came across a little village further west. Plenty of supplies here too. Think I'll barricade one of these little houses off the road and take a nap.

I decided to go back east in search of more sacks. I think I have enough netting for now. Have no room to carry anymore if I plan to eat and drink well so it's time to start thinking about scaling down.

I took the shore back to Balota then decided I'd like to travel north of the town then west to Elektro. I need to get the feel of the land back and I need to start learning the area, again apparently. So I cut north and just as I was going to turn eat I felt a sharp pain in my back. No noise or anything, I initially think I pinched a nerve or something. When i feel safe, i check myself, I'm not bleeding but wait, what's this? My Tortilla backpack is showing signs of damage. Yep, there's a hole and some damaged goods. Right where the pain was. Holy fuck, I think someone took a shot at me with a silencer or BB gun or something that doesn't make a sound. I better get out of this area...

1/20/98

I blacked out. Woke up just north of Elektro. I'm really not sure what's going on. I remember my back pack damage, checked that, yep, that really happened. But what of the rest? was it a dream? I'm here so that much must have been true.

OK, I might be going crazy, literally. I recall making it back to Elektro and running in to someone named Pope Black. (These freaking names) He called me out by name. Apparently he knew me before all this and had vivid memories I can't even recall. I don't trust him but I'll play along. Seems friendly as hell, kept referring to me as a brother to him and was super excited to have found me. Together we scope out Elektro. He keeps over watch as i move in and make contact. Met a fellow with hardly any gear fighting a sickly. His name is "Console". I really feel like I'm in wonderland now. He went his way and I returned to pope Black. We go north a little ways and the last thing I recall was setting up a camp fire before everything went black. Now here I am, waking up in the same spot. But no Pope Black and no evidence we even met up last night.

I'm not sure what to do. We were going to go north in search of more sacks, perhaps if i go north, i'll find him again or at least another piece of the puzzle in regards to who i am and what exactly happened here. Pope Black gave me a lot of info, but it all feels so far fetched.... Well, off I go.

Wow, what a chance meeting and a blessing. Came across a woman who looked pretty tough and was really jittery and full of energy. Her name is Jester. Apparently she believes she runs a delivery service that doesn' charge anything and can get anything you want. Really? Where the closest mental hospital, i feel i need to check in. So I bite. I ask for burlap sacks or strips and whammo, this "Jester" pulls out 4 and gives them to me then takes off running. Something about "I have to log off now, I have to log off now" and she ran off, never to be seen again.

If I survive this long enough to get my mind back, this journal is certainly going to entertain me for a long while. Well, I'm going to hide this near the campfire. if you find it, please don't take it. please keep it here for all travelers to see. There are certain family members of mine that will know to come here and look if they want to find me. I want to find them. So thank you for not stealing my book.

Probably continue around the northern region here until i find more sacks. Then, well. I dunno. i can't think that far ahead yet. At least I can think forward more than back because that's all I have to keep my mind busy at the moment. My only way of trying to ground myself.

Note to self: Stop over eating. I threw up uncontrollably just as an sickly came in to attack me. Lost health, got hurt and lost most of my food. What a waste.

I headed north, then west and before I knew it, I was lost. Made it back here, not sure how. i guess the compass is working.

1/21/98
Derrik Scamp 9 took a nap out in a field behind a stone wall (logged out) and upon awakening several hours later (logging in) he was shot to death by an automatic rifle. Literally just started running right after the world came in to vision and within 5 seconds Dead.

For me, there is nothing lower than killing a sleeping or waking man.

He was a junkie. Maybe he got too high. What kind of drugged up asshole passes out in the middle of a field anyway? Never the less, he was blood, gypsy blood, and we've had enough of the gentiles.

I am DERIK SCAMP X and you've been warned. I will avenge my cousin's death. If you aint Gypsy, don't bother opening your mouth unless you like the taste of lead. Just shut up and do what you're told. I might let you live.

DSX

He was a junkie. Maybe he got someone high. What kind of asshole passes out in the middle of a field? Never the less, he was blood, gypsy blood, and we've had enough of the gentiles.

1/24/15

Nothing much happening. I witnessed a truck pass through Kami the other day. I ran out of the house I was in and to the road but they were traveling too fast and I too slow. Otherwise nothing much going on except gathering supplies. Been going between electro and Kami, up the east coast and back. Think I'll head west today. Sure is getting lonely.

01/26/98
Days on end - no one in sight. Evidence everywhere, corpses. Some were sickly and others not. Proceeding the rest of my days with caution.... There rumor of bands of killers around. Need to be diligent in ever movement...

made my way inland and found a pick ax. I thought I'd give a try at farming to I created a few plots and tilled the ground until the pick ax was ruined. Ran in to some town to retrieve a package of seeds I spotted earlier only to find an armed gentlemen claimed to be running a fish market. He apparently knows my family well although I don't think he realized I was new to the area.

With great hospitality and some chit chat, Mic or vic, one off them, it was Mic and vic's shop said I should move my garden closer. What a great idea. First we ate and shared stories. I finally know what happened around here. These guys settled in here and there seems to be a law enforcement presence although I haven't seen any.

So someone donated a shovel so I got to gardening. Planet my seed and collected my plants. I have some really good "plant matter" if ya know what I mean. So I dropped some on the fire and we all laughed and laughed and laughed until the cops showed up. I took off immediately to secure my stash in a super secret hiding place.

Then it started to kick in. It wasn't enough to sit by the fire and inhale the smoke, I had to go and close the room, clam baked the entire shop even with busted out windows. I was feeling dizzy and needed to go lay down upstairs.

After a few minutes i could swear a 20 foot flaming demon from the pit of hell burst through the wall scratching at the floor, clawing it's way to my soul. I opened fire immediately and staved off the foul beast.

finally, as I came through, the other gentlemen came running around looking for a bandit who had opened fire on one of the anglers.

We locked the place down and soon discovered it may have been my shots at the demon that sent everyone in to high alert. That, or maybe they got a little too much smoke too if ya know what I mean.

Not long after, more shots, friendly fire again as a weapon malfunctions. Heart attack city, i don't know who that guy was but he was very apologetic.

Then a few minutes later more gun fire and everyone starts running around, no one claims responsibility so I duck and cover in a building keeping overwatch. I turn to check my 6 and there is the deomn hovering over me again. About to rip my sould out. in a panic I raise my SKS, just as I see his eyes and my sites i pull the trigger.

I'm immediately splattered with blood bone and brain matter, the thud indicated that I have not killed the demon. i looked down at the floor and check for identification. It was the other fisherman. The one I hadn't met yet.

I explained what has happened and am left to my own business while his buddies scurry around gathering all his items.

I retreated to the bathroom, hunched down over the toilet and puked my brains out. I had never killed a man before. I was sick. I came to realize, I am the Demon. As long as I breath, i will always be battling it. I need help. I need to be kept away from people. Perhaps I should...maybe...just....turn myself in to the cops.....face justice and pay the price. Free myself from this demon once and for all.

DSX was freed from his demons after approaching the fisherman and proclaiming his guilt, willing to repay his transgression any way he could was met with a shotgun to the head.

I am DSX.1, and i don't do the plant material. And i don't take kindly to unjust men.

1/26/98

Word spread quickly within the Gypsy camps as to the fate of our brother Derik scamp X. I must say, this is most upsetting.

Let me explain something to you.

When a Gypsy, such as my brother X who was very spiritual, incurs a wrongful debt, and acknowledges that debt as his own fault, there is little peace in the soul. This world is full of evils and demons for which we stand together to destroy and bring peace to our way of life.

X found a home to settle in after spending many days alone. He thought he made friends. Started trading and helping with security. And unfortunate set of circumstances led to the death of one of the fisherman. The rest of the crew gave forgiveness and blessings to Derik which incurred a false sense of security. Derik went slowly to the place of business and apologized for his deed and offered his life in servitude to the one he had wronged.

Perhaps I should back it up a it.

The worst fate for a Gypsy is to be enslaved. Enslaved by demons, or humans. It's why we are always on the move. In the old days the evils that plagued this world were easy to identify. Today, everyone is a slave. A slave to the circumstances of this world, a slave to their roles, jobs, existence in general. We are free and intend to keep it that way.

So when a Gypsy offers his life of servitude to another, he is essentially giving up all of his will and surrendering it to his debtor until the debt is considered paid in full. He expectects fair judgement and redemption. Of which he will wholeheartedly live out his debt to the best of his ability. He does not expect to be shot in the face with a shotgun while he is kneeling and has his hands on his head. If death was the inevitable outcome, any man would have given him a chance or at the very least, a chance to speak his final prayers. The death sentence is something a man looks another man in the eye for and if this was his fate, he would have accepted it for sure.

But he was never given the opportunity to make peace with the creator. Instead, his soul will travel the plains of purgatory until judgement day. With no room for redemption except that which is in his heart and only the creator can know.

This is the worst insult and punishment to bestow upon a Gypsy. Worse than even a lifetime of servitude.

Derik was a just man and he willfully sought to set things straight. He was met with maleficence and malice. Evil has shown it's head. The creator tried to warn him with visions of demons and he took the warnings about outsiders and internalized it as his own fate. Which is also true as demons killed also roam purgatory.

As his brother, I am obliged to seek justice for his soul.

I come with 7 more brothers who will come after me should an unfortunate fate meet me at the crossroads. You cannot get rid of us, We will haunt you and continue to do so until justice is met and served. You can explain yourself to him in purgatory you filthy gentiles. In the name of our people, I will free this land from slave masters. Me and my brother's assassins.

1/27/98

I gathered some supplies and followed road signs until I came to Polana. I found a place that meets te locations description of the Fish market. Spying it for sometime, I spot a traveler. Deciding not to engage, I spy the person all around town until I hear a gun shot. Still unarmed myself, it was time to take cover.

I had no way of knowing if I had been spotted or not so I made my way out of town and up a hill into some ruins. I heard several more shots. They were loud. Not far from my current position. I sat hidden when I see the man I was tailing leave town and run in to the fields. More shots from nearby. i lose site of the runner as more shots ring out and come to a stop.

There is a sniper in the hill above me. I could really use a rifle. I will put my paramilitary training to the test and flank around behind him. First, to find a hidden path.

There it is. If he is where I think he is I pretty much have a free run out and around him if I follow below that ridge. I do and I make it behind said location rather quickly before I hide what little gear I have and proceed with caution. This blue jumpsuit jacket is the worst for camo but it will have to do.

It took me sometime but I was able to successfully clear the entire hill top. So confident I was that I took two sicklies with me for a final run through. He's gone and judging by one of
the positions of one sickly, I can tell which direction he took off in. Away from town.

He must have killed that other man and moved on right after. or not and continued the hunt. I will saty here and gather more intel. Let me dispatch these, zombies. Yeah, zombies, not like the movies but real life people that could be dead or alive but under some control of a greater evil. They are fast, they are strong and they are fierce.

These "sicklies" are far worse than my brother had described. They are like zombies and since zombies are not real and these are, then these must be real zombies. Gypsy logic there, we have degrees in the forbidden sciences.

Born under the watchful eyes of the Goddess Selene, we are bound by blood, bound by soul and bound by spirit to correct the imbalances of this world.

"Ye are 9 cards.
Become 9 devils
Enter into the body, into the blood, into the soul .
Into the feelings of the body
Of my brothers, from whom I cannot live.
For I cannot be, or drink,
Or eat . . .
Nor can I converse with men or women
Till at the door of my house
He shall come to knock."

I can see you little market place. I hope for your sake, you comply. Justice will be served.

1/27/98

I caught up with the fishing "crew" today. Too many to engage I decided to play nice and investigate the happening. what a strange world we live in. My brother was killed by mistake due to misidentification. The fellows here seemed awefully proud and sad to have known DSX.

I don't know why my brother finds these gentiles so welcoming. They are drunkards and drug addicts. I witnessed a police man committing suicide after eating human flesh. That was about all I needed. I myself was wounded when they would not believe I was who I said I was. They must all be hallucinating. Very dangerous place. They have the best of intention but without a sharp mind, survivor beware of Polana. Think I'm going to head out today, quietly, and quickly. while these anglers slumber.

1/28/98 - I woke up at Mic and Vic's. I was greeted with a nice steak. Then I pardoned myself and went out for a scope of the town. If things are going OK, I will meet with one of my brothers soon and give him all the info he needs to find the others and meet me here. Hours later I am over watching from the hill when I get attacked by a zombie. I pull my pistol on it and click click click, no ammo. So I run.

That's when I see the man in the tree line pointing a rifle at me. Not a single word was spoken as I ran and didged as best I could. I ran through town and just before reaching the other side, a shot rings out, and I feel the pain. I dare not stop and head to to a small creek bed providing cover until I am far enough away to bandage. Pants, ruined, 1 rage ruined, compass ruined, jacket, ruined. I should circle around from the north and warn the guys in the pub.

I see a construction site and begin to search for better cloths, upstairs I feel a terrible twist in my leg and as I collapse i can hear the snap in my calf. Great, now my pants and shoes are ruined and my leg is broken.

I search for what seems like hours as I am crawling up a hill, down a hill until I finally find a stick. But I cannot make a splint with this rag and splint. Something's not right. I'm forgetting how to tie the knot or something but I just can't make a splint. These are in good enough shape. i must crawl to Polana at all cost and warn my associates....

I made it back to the market and warned the others. They have been on high alert and cuffing people. They are a bit on edge here and a bit trigger happy I think. Not the kind of place I want to settle down in but there is much work to be done here. I will meet with my brothers and discuss our next move..

1/29/98 - The brothers X have decided on Polana. We will each go our own ways with methods of communicating. I have left the small town behind for now and am travelling to more familiar territory. This civilian gear just won't do.

2/5/98 - It's been a wild ride. I've made contacts with people that have had much closer dealings with the Scamp family bot professional and for pleasure. Although they are gentiles, they are closer to our way of life than most and their disdain for their own kind makes them less of a threat to me. So I've been travelling and making more contacts. News spreads quickly and it appears the people responsible for several deaths in my family have indeed been brought to justice. I've had several shoot outs and made it out alive. I've lost some friends along the way. I've discovered new places never before seen.

Last night I damn near shit myself when I was ambushed by a group calling themselves the Potato Elites. I'm just glad I didn't have any weapons out and these guys were friendly. But I am fearful my senses are failing me. They got the drop on me while I was drinking. My buddy, keeping over-watch, fell asleep in the bush while this went down. I can only accept the fact that I'd be dead if they were anything but a bunch of friendly guys.

But they happened to be more than that. My partner in yesterday's journey woke up in the bush and from a distance of at least 200 yards, the P.E. spotted his movement. I spotted one of them out in the field and thought it was a different group. Then, like a bad hallucination, i spotted another guy, then another. As if they were popping out of the bushes all around me. Decided this was a good time to try and make friendly contact. I'm out numbered, out gunned and I'm a dead man if these guys want me dead. Lo' and behold, it was the PE again.

They described a person to me and asked if I spotted him. I told them the guy was with me. A sigh of relief was heard as they explained they spotted him and thought he was stalking me so they moved in to investigate. The PE are familiar with the Scamp name and although I may not agree with their mission, i thank the good lord above that they hold true to it. I will put them on my ally list and not soon forget their guardian angel persona.

2/6/98
I'm beginning to make alliances and found strength in numbers. We might not like each other for various reasons but we know we can depend on each other for security and support. Perhaps this is what my family has been trying to communicate all along. Perhaps some of these gentiles deserve a chance.

2/7/98
today, we are going to explore a prison complex. Gunshots can be heard and it's a very dangerous place as far as I can tell. But the potential for supplies and intel are too great. We move in today...
DSX.1

2/9/98
I received word that my brother Derik scamp the 2nd (DS1) has met an unfortunate fate.
It's up to me now to pick up the reigns and move forward. All of his notes here are invaluable to our family and I will consider all things within...

2/19/98
We scamps are dropping like flies. My brother Derik Scamp X.3 has joined the fallen. Word has it he was sniped about a week ago running up a hill with a friend. And now My brother Derik Scamp X.4 's remains have been found in a truck wreck. This is not how I am going out. Trust no one, nothing and keep to the main roads. My journey continues as I carry the family name with a new perspective on Chernarus. With only 4 brothers remaining from the full moon birth, I must tread carefully.

2/22/98
Derik Scamp X.5 is dead. Wrongly imprisoned for a crime he did not commit. Surrendered willfully and shot in the back of the head like a vermin. Two schmucks get in to a fight and a guard steps too close. I was on my way there to broker a deal for his release when the news reached me first. I have his blood stained bandanna as a token of what being a good man does to you in this world. You cannot even rely on Justice. Justice is as a man does, and justice will be served by all men who wish to survive.

~Derik Scamp XVI

2/28/98
I met up with a few friends of the family. Well fed, and well armed we decide to go and hit some hard targets today. Seems there's some good gear over in Cherno. Took us about 20 minutes to get there and sure enough this place is a ghost town.

Shots rang out from the top of the twin silos. We're on the hunt. two of us lost their lives today. we got one target down but am sure there is at least one more. My brother DS XVII just arrived, he's heading up in to the hills while I keep over watch from the police station.

And that's the last words my brother DS XVI will every write again. Seems he caught a sniper shot from the silos. The hunt is still one.

We've got the Twin Silos covered, I'm going up to clear it. All clear, these guys slipped through the cracks somehow, probably left as we were re-positioning.

3/1/98
Our team feels we can upgrade our gear by raiding the prison island. We got separated but not a big deal, word has it they've gotten a few trucks and took out a bunch of folks to get it.

By the time I catch up, there are 4 dead bodies, all run over by our truck, not a single shot fired and all this gear. Oh look a smirch vest and pack, this here is claimed.

We get to the island and to our surprise, it is void of life. But not void of gear. found several more magazines for this AK74, plenty of food and some clothing upgrades. Met up with Grandpa Victor Scamp, what a great reunion we had. Swapped stories and news about the family. Much needed intel shared. Gramps is a crazy man, exemplified by the pulse in his veins and that he's been able to survive this whole time. We decide to turn in for the night.

3/2/98
I bed down outside under a bush and wake up alone, on this island, no clue where anyone went or if anyone else is here.

I eat my fill and decide to clear the island solo. All clear, some more gear and and food and clothing upgrades and I'm gone. Off to the mainland, off to find my friends... Surviving yet another day, the Scamps live on...

Derik Scamp XVII